A lot of the time, people talk about ‘the muse’ or ‘being inspired’ without realizing there are practical tips they can apply to more often attract creativity.
So here are a few tips from my own experiences to help you shift into writing mode quicker and make it so writing feels a little less like pulling teeth.
- Listen to music. I listened to the same playlist every time I wrote for a month and oh, what a difference. Even if I was totally distracted when I sat down at my desk, the music helped me snap out- and right into a writing mood. For more on this, check out Julia’s post here: The Music of Words.
- Read a good book. Now, you have to be very cautious about this one. Set a timer for a certain amount of time, say you’ll only read a certain number of chapters, but whatever you do, make sure to establish a maximum amount of time spent. You don’t want to get sidetracked and not write at all, do you? However, when this tool is used properly, you can get your creative juices flowing and all ready to go.
- Exercise. I don’t care if you go for a bike ride, dance, run, or just take a short stroll. There’s something about exercise that helps your brain rejuvenate and come up with more ideas for writing.
- Read through your own work and pick two or three sentences that inspire you or summarize what you wanted the tone of your writing to be when you started. Write them down on a piece of paper and reread whenever you need inspiration. You get to see how great your writing can turn out if you try!
- Keep healthy habits. Sleep at least eight hours, eat nutritional food, and drink lots of water. If your body isn’t in tip-top shape, how do you expect your brain to function as if it is?
- Have a pet? If it’s a dog or cat, go pet your animal. Petting animals is scientifically proven to make you relax. You can’t write successfully if you’re stressed. Plus, who doesn’t love spending some time with animals?
- Finally, visualize whatever it is you’re about to write. Make the scene play out in your brain like it’s a movie. It’ll make it so much easier to write if you already know exactly what’s happening.
So there are a few tips for creativity! Thanks for reading, and please share it if you enjoyed.
Discussion Question: Do you have any tips and tricks of your own for inspiring creativity? Have you successfully applied any of the tips above before? Tell us all about it in the comments below!